MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sunrise and Camel Ride at Sunset

I made it out of bed this morning for sunrise and let me tell you it was freezing. We didn't want to risk missing it again so opted for the lookout point near our campground. It was so strange as the sun rose and the colour of Uluru changed the moon was over Kata-Juta. Oh it is times like this you wish you had a better camera. It was stunning. I am sure you will be underwhelmed by my photos as they don't convey the true beauty of it.
And now the moon over the Olga's. It was so weird to see both the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time.
We had an easy day and went off to be collected for our Sunset Camel ride. My camel was called Pete and wouldn't you know it he is the biggest and tallest boy at the farm and let me tell you it was a very long way to the ground. Isn't he a cutie though?
Pete took a liking to Gary's new jacket's sleeve and kept sucking on it. His camel was Tas. It was a fantastic experience and the cameleers where just wonderful and so entertaining and you could tell they really loved their charges. Gary and I were concerned we got a camel to ourselves but were relieved when we were told they weigh 700kgs and can carry up to 350kgs for quite a distance....Whew thought it was all the Tim Tams I have been eating.
I even got to meet Oprah.....that is Oprah the camel. She was such a sweet girl and was behind me and kept nuzzling for a pat.
I had so much stuff in my pockets I look like a little barrel sitting up there. It was an amazing view from high up on one of the sand dunes where you watch the sun go down.
You can see how much Pete likes Gary.
And finally what we came for the glorious sunset. This photo was taken by Damien Hill who took the shots of us on the camels. This is an experience we will remember for the rest of our lives. We loved every moment and I know I was sorry when it was over.

We finished our ride with a glass of wine for me and a beer for Gary and some delicious beer damper made at the farm topped with either freshly made dukka or bush tomato relish ( I had to buy a bottle to take home).
The gorgeous full moon was our companion on the drive home.
Now if only Queensland would complete our wonderful day by winning the State of Origin series it would be a perfect day.
We are leaving tomorrow and will most likely have no signal so you will have a little peace for a few days.
Take care one and all,
Blessings Michelle xxx
P.S. WE JUST WON THE SERIES......7 IN A ROW!!!! YOU BEAUTY!!! GO QUEENSLAND!

10 comments:

  1. Another great post Michelle. Chris and I will have to get there one day, scenery just beautiful. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the outback posts - especially the "rock".
    PS Qld only just scraped in!!(darn- I'm a NSWer!! - not that I give a fig for footy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. It's such a lovely way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome... you are doing such a lot of amazing things... and so the day ended perfectly for you.... and my Homespun arrived .... I just LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE your little mini bags... you are seriously at fault for my to do list being so long...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol,love the camels Michelle and gorgeous pics as usual,what a lovely day you both had,looking forward to the next part of your journey.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. An unforgettable experience!

    I cant tell you how much Im enjoying all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are beautiful. So glad you are having so much fun.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heard about Qld and thought of you!!! That camel ride looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Michelle and love those photos, the sunset is spectacular. WOOHOO alright, congrats to the MIGHTY MAROONS who were also spectular, pure skill and brilliance gave them the win....
    I am one excited little QUEENSLANDER today, bring on series 8 :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great experience, Michelle. You will always have the memories even if your photos do not do it justice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.