MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday's Treasure with Melody

Well one of my favourites things to do has begun again for 2012 and that is to join our wonderful host MELODY for Tuesdays Treasures where we get to share a 'treasure' we hold dear.
My treasure today is the quilt that started it all.  I am often asked how I started quilting and so this is it.I began this class with the wondeful and very talented Diane Johnson with absolutely no previous experience in quilting....just becasue I liked the quilt when I thought I might like this quilt making lark. It took me a very long time to complete it  starting in 1995 and finishing hand quilting and binding it in 2001, but I enjoyed every stitch and it taught me so much and you could say I found the 'love of my life' I was and still am truly smitten. I had no expectations of the quilt being difficult as I hadn't a clue about applique or any other form of quilt making. I just thought it was a lovely quilt and I wanted one. In fact when I joined a local quilt group they thought I was being smart alecky and didn't believe it was my first quilt. Goes to show our perception about things can limit our ability to try if we think it's difficult.
All the different techniques were covered. Reverse applique, whole piece applique, overlay. I loved them all.
I would have to say I still love this quilt above all others I have done. What is your treasure today?
"Stitching has the ability to join women from all ages and walks of life together with such loving threads".
Blessings Michelle xx

20 comments:

  1. I loved my first quilt I made. It was a simple nine patch because it was my first I treasured it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Michelle. That quilt is just beautiful. The colors are great. Good on you. It doesn't matter how long it took you to finish it,as it sounds as though you enjoyed every part of it. My first quilt is was a large one, it fits across the top of my QS bed and when I tell people it was my first go at making a quilt, they don't believe me. I did it as a BOM and had very limited experience doing patchwork/quilting. It was a real learning curve and it hangs proudly on the large wall in the passage.I had only ever made bags, dolls and teddies up to that point.Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete
  3. whow Michelle this quilt is just stunning,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is truly beautiful and I love the story that goes along with it. I agree, sometimes if you don't know things are 'difficult' they are very possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness. it is just lovely ... only a naive beginner (??) or an experienced quilter would try it!! it's awesome Michelle...what a wonderful way to learn...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 'first' quilt is just magnificent. You sure showed them what a beginner could do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful Michelle. One would never believe it was made by a novice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I wish my first quilt looked like that! Mine was a D9P I love it because it was my first, but it isn't as beautiful as yours. Well Done!! Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful Michelle. Love the colours. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is amazing. Fancy being able to say "This was my first quilt". It is a lovely treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Michelle! Lovely quilt ... you can see all your hard work in the quality of the finished quilt. :0) I agree that sometimes knowing something is difficult can stop us trying ... one of our Quilting Angels had never done any quilting or patchwork before joining our charity quilting bees ... she is now a 'veteran' and free-motion quilts like nobody's business ... she just tackles whatever is thrown her way cos she doesn't know it's hard! :0) Thanks for sharing your treasure! :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is amazing , especially since it was your first , incredible applique , you were very brave to attempt this for a first but you obviously have a knack for applique . Gorgeous! hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  13. What and absolutely gorgeous quilt xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is very, very beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us as part of Tuesday Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quote at the end says it all. How wonderful. What a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one awesome first quilt. We are only limited by our own fears aren't we? Having done the "Nearly Insane " quilt not a lot phases me anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness Michelle. I cant believe that's your first ever quilt ! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Michelle,

    Simply stunning, I think you were here in a previous life if that is your first quilt.
    happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.