MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Friday, March 9, 2012

Favourite things Friday

It was a lovely start to the day this morning walking with the beautiful sounds of Eva Cassidy in my ears through the foggy morning. The fog over the bush seemed to make everything softer somehow and fog usually means a warm day here.

I posted earlier this week that I would tell you about a childhood favourite of mine for FAVOURITE THINGS FRIDAY with SHAY. It is the Urangan Pier at Hervey Bay which used to stretch a whopping 1,128 metres out into the ocean. My Nana used to tell us about huge ships that come into the pier for loads of sugar cane and coal and how there was a train line right along the pier to the ships. It only ceased operation in 1993 and the pier has now been shortened to 868 metres and made safe for walkers and fisherman even though some of the original flooring is still there in tact. My Nana was interviewed twice for the local paper as she had photos of the pier and could vividly remember how it was used. I have swum under it and played near it but I had never walked on it not all the way to the end anyway so I decided this visit I was going to go down there and walk to the end of the pier. Not that it is a hardship or anything but it's one of those things that because it is always there you think you will do it next time and you never do.
When we set out it was very blowy and overcast as you can see but I was determined to do it.

This is 'herself' at the beginning of the pier and then after nearly getting blown to kingdom come this 'herself at the end of the pier....out in the ocean.

Looking just a tad windblown out here. Not long after this little jaunt we got the news about the 'severe weather warning' that flooded us in. At the beginning of the pier is a beautiful sculpture by Terry Summers callet "Duet" and of course I had to hang off it to get a photo with much sighing and huffing form the camera man.

The Esplanade is such a lovely place for a stroll or a picnic with lots of lovely paved pathways and a lot of the native vegetation along the foreshore has been preserved which is great too.

Lastly if you are still with me and haven't got sick of my meanderings is a photo of my Nana that appeared in the local paper with an article about her memories of the pier in it''s hey day.

She is over 90 in this photo. If you look closely in the left hand corner you will see my treasured hall stand that came from her home and now lives with me.
Soooo! That is my Favourite this week 'doing' a 'must do that one of these days' things and having a great time doing it. Have you got anything simple on your list that you think 'you must do one day'? Maybe it's time to just go and do it.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Namaste,
Blessings Michelle xx

P.S. I was asked recently what Namaste means and why do I say it. So here it is as I understand and revere it.
"The Devine in me honours and greets the Devine in You". I like to think if we all made a concious effort to do that, the world would be a much better place. I say it because I believe it and I am trying at all times to be authenically myself and show you who I am without leaving out bits I think you might not like or agree with. At the end of the day it's too much hard work to be something or someone I'm not. So there you have it. Here endeth the lesson.What you see is what you get. xx

13 comments:

  1. What an absolutely wonderful visit with you and your nanna today!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. Your nanna looks so sweet. I really miss mine.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty fantastic place. Glad you knocked something off your "bucket" list. I enjoyed your post. All the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hervey Bay and I have done the peir walk.... how wonderful to have the lovely stories from your Nanna... and you stay just as we see you are.... just lovely...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been to Hervey Bay once and haven't done the pier walk. If I ever get up there again I will put it on my list of things to do.
    I agree, it's definitely best to be yourself regardless of whether others agree or not. Although I was crafting a lovely facade for myself before Shay outed me today! hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nana is adorable in that photo. Good for you for doing something you've always wanted to do! It looks like a lovely place, even with storm clouds and wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and lovely memories of your Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely story Michelle,Namaste.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful interesting post ,so special to have this article with your grandmothers photo and really happy for you that you made that long trek out to the end of the pier , it looks like it was well worth it . and to you I also say Namaste ! hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a wonderful trip you treated us too! Just the kind I like to take. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Michelle for conquering the jetty! That's one long walk even at just under a kilometre. Imagine how impressive a sight it must have been when it was fully operational as a loading port.

    Your post is a reminder that we should all just do the things we set as goals...Im so guilty of saying "Im going to do that one day "

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Michelle,

    Thanks for the tour,we even got to see the end of the jetty, with you doing your hair flicking thingy!!!
    Love the photo of your Nana, lucky to have someone like that in your life.
    have a wonderful weekend.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place. Your Nana looks like she was a fun lady. Great Favorite

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.