MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Friday, March 3, 2023

Owls, Hares and Teacups

 Hello friends, I know time doesn't really go faster but...we are in March! Both my quilt projects are coming along and giving me enjoyment. I have now completed the centre panel for Gossip in the Garden that I am stitching with my friend Fiona @bubzrugz and we may have coerced...I mean encouraged a couple of other friends to join us. I have loved this pattern for so long and am loving stitching it. This centre panel was what originally attracted me to Gossip in the Garden. 

And being the strange little person I am, meaning and connection always attracts me first.  If you will permit me a little wander off the path. 

This block reminded me instantly of all the precious time our family spent with my Grandmother on the open front verandah of her workers cottage, shaded by a huge poinciana tree....

It was a glorious tree and cooled the whole home. It's soft end leaves gently brushing the verandah roof. We would sit, have tea, coffee, cool drinks and sweet treats she had baked and most important of all.....yarned.....its where I and my children learnt the value and love of a good story.....learnt your family history and tales. It's where we caught up with visiting country family and all their news, shared good news and sometimes sad. There were sometimes a few and sometimes a horde....all were fed and watered and embraced and you sat sometimes on a comfy cushioned cane chair, sometimes on the floor or front steps.....no one cared.....to be there was enough!
And this gentle woman was at the heart of it all.
And her favourite teacup was this set....Colclough English Fine bone china. It's Indian Tree pattern. This one has a different shaped cup than those I have researched. 
I use it often when my friends come for sewing....she would love that it bears witness to a cuppa and lots of chat!
So I managed to keep my February deadline for Gossip....just! But lovely memories definitely kept me company.
Well that was the "teacups" The "Owl and Hare" refer to Natalie Birds sweet new BOM that I am stitching along with friend Lorel.
I have completed one stitchery and glued and stitched the hexie circle but they aren't sewn in place yet! If you love hexies this is the quilt for you!
Also the same applies for the lovely elongated hexie wheel spokes that hooked me on this project! Just waiting to be stitched down. This really is a pretty quilt.

My last little project to share is a weekly, stitching type of meditation....basically just for the love of a needle and thread.  My Mum on one of her OpShop journeys picked up this length of heavyweight woven cotton fabric and gave it to me.
I never knew quite what to do with it....until now! So I drew up 52 odd segments marked them with running stitch and have begun to fill one a week with whatever stitch I fancy.
I have probably got enough to make cover ends for another accordion sketch book as well....so happy to make use of it.
I have been going through a cycle once again of waking at odd hours and rather than allow my mind to go to those places I pick up a book.....just finished this one.....
Artwise....my sweet Orang-utan is coming along slowly.....he's a chubby chappy with textured skin....a lot of it and it's slow going.
Also a bit of back to basics for me and my pencil too.....different pencils and shading.
Ok lovely folk.....the kettle is on the boil and calling me to make a brew. A little thought to ponder.....lol!
Have a lovely weekend and I hope you trip over a few ideas lying around.
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx






14 comments:

  1. Lovely post my friend ,I enjoyed the stories told to by you of your nana and dad,I love stories of by gone days and how they have shaped our present lives.
    Both quilt blocks are looking beautiful,well done ,seeing the kettle is on could I have my chai please,Lol,hope your day is a good one Michelle 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your quote, Michelle....there's no mess here either! lol Lovely to have your family stories, and to keep them alive. Your stitching is beautiful, as always - and I like your week-by-week idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, this is a wonderful post. Your creativity is sooo inspiring. It is great you had wonderful memories to reflect on while working on the Gossip in the Garden piece. Your stitching and sketching is just so lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Gossips block. Love the family story. I'm supposed to be doing Owls & Hares but i'm still waiting on my kit. :(.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely story of your Nan to go with the Gossip block and the teacup.... I can just imagine the scene on the veranda. I am so enjoying YOUR hare and owl, it is gorgeous but there are enough ideas going around my house. clever you with that new stitchery.... and of course I adore your orangutang...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing quite like those fine bone china cups and saucers. I also have both my grandma's favourite cups and saucers. Very special. Lots of lovely stitching and art as always. Love the saying at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Nan was a special woman, keeping everything flowing along.Lots of beautiful stitching happening and the orangutan is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In your case those ideas lying around are truly gorgeous works of art. Everything you make is special and uniquely you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful little thought xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. I will be watching everyone completing Natalie Birds new BOM. It looks like it going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is always lovely to see your projects and your progress. I think it is special to have those wonderful memories of your grandmother when you are stitching along. And how lovely to have her special tea cup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plenty to keep you busy - lovely story of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the story about your grandmother...so sweet. I love your gossip in the garden. Oh boy do I love EPP! Yours is beautiful! Your art is gorgeous...it always amazes me at the talent that people have and yours is off the charts! I too awaken in the night and rather than toss and turn, I pick up a book. Thanks for the recommendation. I can't wait to see more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love your fabrics in Gossip. How lovely to be thinking of your Grandmother and to have her favourite cup and saucer. Your latest Natalie Bird quilt is looking great too. It sounds like your 52 week projects is a nice replacement for your slow stitching rolls. You have a nice variety of stitches there already
    And, as always, I do enjoy seeing your artwork evolve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.