MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Monday, July 16, 2018

Back to Stitchy Things

My Mum has always loved Pansies. We were never without a Pansy display in either garden beds or pots of some description.
So when several years ago Pansy themed fabrics were all the go my Mum set about collecting them. My Mum would not say she was a quilter but the fact is she has made a couple over the years. Her collection of Pansy fabrics became a Dresden Plate quilt which is loved by a family member. She was left with lots of Pansy scraps and decided to use them all up in a Sunbonnet Sue type quilt for my Nan.....every scrap was used.
My Nan loved it. Especially as she was a gardener and adored flowers.
When I visited my Mum recently she really wanted me to have it and take it home.
It means a lot to have a quilt my Mum stitched and my Grandmother loved.
It's all been hand quilted and hand appliqued.
It has a scrappy pansy border and all the dollies have lacy trims.

Some lovely memories and as they say "every quilt tells a story" I am very happy to be the custodian of this one.
Not too much stitching has been happening as we have been busy with family but I did take my tags with me and I now have another little few completed.
Looking forward to some hand quilting this evening.
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx

22 comments:

  1. The quilt is lovely, Michelle. What a special heirloom to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your Nan's pansy quilt is so beautiful Michelle, and your mother's quilting expertise is brilliant. I recognise most of those pansy prints too, from back in the day. Happy memories! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous quilt and a beautiful keep sake.. something to be treasured and passed through the family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the pansy fabrics......they were around for a long time, pansies are a well-loved flower. What a lovely piece of family history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous - and what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very pretty and special quilt. I like your little tags, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love pansy Sunbonnet Sue's... and so special … a lot of work in that …. and your tags are lovely... you are getting on well with them...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful quilt & so special. Pansies are my favourite flower. Love your tags. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved ready the story behind your pansy quilt. It is a real family heirloom and you will keep it safe for the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do remember when that pansy fabric was all the rage Michelle. I made quite a few things using it. How special to have that quilt made by your Mum & treasured by your Grandmum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pansy quilt is lovely and ever so special

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pansies - I still have metres of different coloured pansy fabrics. They are all the same patterns, just different colours. What shall I do with them all? I just wish pansies had a beautiful smell too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryanne. Yes you would imagine they would have a lovely perfume too. My Mum made a Dresden Plate quilt with all her pansies and it was just lovely...this quilt was the left overs x

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful story about the quilt. Very very special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pansies are the best flowers, so forgiving with the weather and being neglected! Fantastic story with the pansy quilt Michelle, that will ne an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Michelle how beautiful is this quilt and how wonderful that it holds such special memories for you.
    You are going well with the tags I am just finishing my 2 nod last one ,hope you have a lovely evening my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore pansy fabrics! What a beautiful quilt to own - and love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky to have the special sweet pansy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pansy quilt Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sun bonnet Sue quilt is just gorgeous, such a special quilt for you to treasure Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.