MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Friday, January 22, 2021

A New Hobby.......Really?

 Yes I am afraid so! No laughing! I have resisted for years AND years but before Christmas I caved spectacularly and bought myself a die-cutting machine for card making! I did some research....thanks Ann and Sandi......a wonderful special sealed my fate!

I  love handmade cards and every so often will make a hand drawn one. So I thought if not now.....when? I am taking it slow and my efforts are very simple but I have been enjoying playing with it all.....

Hopefully I shall improve the more I make and the more I harass clever friends for hints and tips........fingers crossed! 
My two Grandsons love sharks....know all about them and find them endlessly fascinating, so I thought I would try my hand at a birthday card for the eldest coming up soon......he's going to be a teenager so he will enjoy the play on words!
I have been very lax in getting my UFO CHALLENGE sorted for Sunday Stitchers. I am not terribly good at lists or actually sticking to them so I don't!  I decided that I would instead endeavour to get my Postcards SAL completed this year! I am afraid I found the stitching of the outline of the Postcards themselves very tedious after a while....

I have done quite a few of the 40 stitcheries and have about 14 to go. The ones above are sewn into blocks but because I am a bit anal and wanted our earlier journeys first in the quilt, not many are sewn together! 
My first renewed effort is this one ready for the pile. I am hoping tedium doesn't set in again to soon!
Wish me luck!
I have had a lot of dashing here and there of late so I was too tired to concentrate on much in the evenings and sewing together my hexies for a border on Heartstrings was just perfect.....all done and waiting now! Its hard to photograph rows of hexies lol!
We are once again under lighter restrictions here and I took the opportunity to spend some Christmas vouchers for Spotlight. They were having a sale so my money went further.......nothing exciting but lots of wonderful basics stocked up on and a few treats for the new hobby!

On my way home I spied some pink carnations which actually had a perfume!
They instantly transport me back to my Grandmother's garden.......she always had several varieties of pink and were often on her dining room table. It always intrigues me......often whenever I am feeling a bit harried or blue......a small bunch of pink carnations will be in my path!
Do you have something that instantly speaks to your heart and memories?

I cannot believe we are here at Friday again already but there you go.
I wish you all a weekend that includes things you enjoy.
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx 




19 comments:

  1. What fun and looking forward to seeing all your new cards... I expect you will find a way to combine your art and the cut cards? well done with all those hexies... (eyes rolling to back of head!!!) Tiny pink roses take me back to thoughts of my Granny.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Michelle, it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, what a great purchase, and your first cards are lovely. You will have so much fun with it, and I know people will love all you make. Carnations are so pretty, and they last too! Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am sure you will enjoy your new toy. Can't wait to see some awesome cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New year - new hobby, Michelle! Your 'starter' cards are very good.....but then, you have the 'eye' of an artist. Postcards will be so pretty when it's done, and will have memories stitched in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cards look wonderful Michelle & I am envious of your lovely new machine. I have often wanted to get into more of the papercrafting side of things - journals etc . A new year is a great time to begin a new hobby I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your new hobby. Love the shark card, so cute. I love carnations. Mum always grew them & i get so disappointed when i see a lovely bunch at the shops but no smell. I still buy them though as they brighten up the house. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your new hobby, your cards are lovely and way above beginner level! The shark card is wonderful. Enjoy your postcards, the shop that sold the chilli jam has closed down, the owners retired. Very sad! Your hexies are pretty, and your haul from Spotlight looks wonderful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilt done. You did great job. Anyway another fabric store if would need Broadway Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work on the cards. Postcards is looking lovely. Good pick ups at the sales.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a lot of fun stuff going on in the sewing room and with your new hobby, lovely cards and stitchings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will be nice to see your postcards finished Michelle - come on, not far to go! The machine is a new one on me but it looks like it is keeping you busy - your cards look lovely. Looks like you had a good shop in Spotlight and the flowers are gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go buying yourself a die-cutter.. nothing wrong in that lot of enjoyment to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you will really enjoy your new hobby Michelle - the cards so far are gorgeous! Love the shark one for your GS. Good on you getting back to the postcards, only 14 to go - hopefully you will finish them before you run out of steam!! Very pretty carnations, I have a few in the garden and the first bud is nearly open -already it has that wonderful scent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cards look great Michelle. I love your postcard blocks. It's fun shopping with vouchers. I've spent two of the three I received so far!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cards have turned out beautifully. Good luck with finishing Postcards. It will be lovely. You had fun shopping, by the look of it and carnations are a lovely flower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your carnations are very pretty. Lol, your new crafty hobby. I used to do scrabooking before I took up quilting. Great new stash of cardstock etc. Those hexies are looking lovely and the stitcheries are coming along nicely. So many projects! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course you ahev room & time for a new hobby

    A good goal to work on the postcards..and you have so much lettering to do - I understand that is tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to see you jumping in feet first with the card making. And what a great way to use your vouchers later on. Looks like you have had a lot of fun already. Great shark card.
    Good luck with your postcard blocks. Good to have a focus to get it finished.
    And the carnations look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.