MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Friday, August 30, 2024

August Round Up

 Hello friends. Here we are almost at the end of August. Still supposedly the tail end of winter here in Queensland but temps in the high twenties and low thirties seem to suggest Spring has arrived early. Lots of our native bushes are full of blossom which is very cheery.



My King Orchid has delighted me this year with NINE flower spikes!
I love looking at the myriad of teeny tiny cream orchids that make up the spikes. Nature certainly can succeed in perfection.
With this unexpected rise in temperature I have been caught on the hop with getting my hand quilting on Where We Love is Home completed. So I have been beavering away on it to try and beat the real Summer heat. I suspect that air con will be needed to get to the finish line.

I am on the bottom half now so hopefully I may get there.
I have kept up my Sunday Stitchers WIP which is my Sashiko quilt panel and have only a few more blocks to go.


The latest prompt in ##roxysjournalofstitcheryvol6 "Field Notes " was WILDFLOWERS. This took some pondering as I live on the east coast of Australia. In Western Australia they have stunning wildflowers. So lots of research happened. I wanted to keep the Aussie theme going so my choices were the bright and cheerful "pigface" ground cover that most Aussie beach goers would have seen growing over the sand dunes. It's hot pink flowers are hard to miss. I embroidered the delicate mauve Sun Orchid on the doiley. These are hard to spot but do grow in bushland close by.
The yellow "Billy Buttons " and feathery pink "Mulla Mulla" were added as lovely reminders of our outback trips where we saw them flowering.
I added a little quote about wildflowers to complete it. I absolutely loved stitching this page.


I have had late nights reading....loved them all!
I enjoyed celebrating with Sunday Stitchers friends, Juanita's special birthday down by the Bay. Lovely food, conversation and laughter.
My Grandchildren have kept me busy this month....
Eldest Granddaughter is playing her netball Grand Final tomorrow. Wonderful effort for these great young girls. Some had never played netball before but they have given it their all.
Youngest Granddaughter gathered with other schools in her last Singfest event as she's off to high school......so beautiful to hear those lovely young sweet voices.
Eldest Grandson scrubbed up very handsomely for his school semi formal. Still find it hard to believe. He also had a great first season trying baseball.
Youngest Grandson's basketball team are playing their Grand Final also next week. They have gone through undefeated.
I love watching them in their chosen field of interests and sports. Finally my newest grandchild....of the fur variety just achieves creating puppy chaos and being cute!
So folks that's it from me for August.
Happy stitching and be kind to yourself. 
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx 










14 comments:

  1. It's a bit unseasonably warm here too, Michelle! Love your wildflower stitching - such a lovely memory of your trips. My goodness, those grandies are shooting up, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete

  2. What a lovely busy time Michelle, such active grandchildren - ours just spends all her time reading! I love your summer wildflower page, just beautiful. Your sashiko is gorgeous too. Hope you get all that quilting finished - I am looking forward to getting Wings out again at the end of September when the evenings are cooler and I can work with it over my knees. Fingers crossed for the finals! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hot weather has brought our some lovely native blossoms for you Michelle. King Orchids are fantastic - ours has 22 fronds this year, a total record. I so admire your interpretation of the Roxy project - absolutely gorgeous. Your grandies all have special events, and all look so happy and busy. Bless them all. Happy stitching. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tienes unas manos estupendas, para hacer cosas preciosas. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stit hing, as usual Michelle. No wonder you are proud of your grandchildren, they seem such fine young people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is looking so pretty Michelle & colourful already. I absolutely love the simplicity of your sashiko work - love the colours palette too. Always enjoy seeing your Field Notes - so much detail. Warmest congratulations to your beautiful grandchildren who are growing up rather fast!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post Michelle, lovely flowers and sashiko work, love your Field Notes, so pretty. Your grandchildren are doing so well in the areas they have chosen. Hope you can get your quilting done before it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so much loveliness in your post. Your flowers are beautiful as is your amazing sashiko stitching. Your grandies have certainly grown up. They must bring you so much joy and pride.
    Furry grandie is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a round up! those grand children do grow up fast. A very cute puppy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your latest stitches are just gorgeous.... and its lovely seeing garden pics. Our king orchid did well but the flowers are over so quick with the heat... I can see some burnt! Well done to all the grandies. Keep on stitching your lovely WWLIH quilt....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some beautiful blooms in your garden and also in the stitched you did.
    Hope you get the Where we Love finished before the real heat.
    So good to you get to see all the grandies enjoying their chosen sport or interest.
    Cute furbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are zooming along with your hand quilting but at least you have air con if you need it. Love your Sashiko and all your pretty projects as always. Some beautiful pics of nature's blooms. Spring is most welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely applique, as always! The wildflower project is so lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is looking lovely, Michelle. Beautiful colour. The orchids are stunning.
    Good luck completing the hand quilting.
    Lovely work on the sashiko and the gorgeous wildflowers.
    Great reads, too. I am just finishing Lola In The Mirror and hope to borrow Love Stories next.
    Isn't it wonderful to see grandchildren get out and involved in so many activities. Enjoy your time with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.