MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Saturday, February 19, 2022

Blocks and Birds

 Hello out there. Hope you are all well. We have had a strange kind of milestone this past week....12 months ago we got the worst kind of news.....a terminal illness for my husband. He was so ill we were told to say our goodbyes. Devastating for us all.....to say we feel blessed that he is still with us is an understatement! It's not the old age we envisaged together but we are determined to take as much time together as we can get despite his frailty. My social life looks very different these days....mainly family and encouragement from dear friends.....not complaining, it's just my reality and I don't have the energy for pretense. Blogging has been a lovely way to stay in touch....so thank you.

Ok now to "The Blocks ".....I am enjoying stitching Anni's Where We Love Is Home so much!




I have been able to get some more assembly happening...

These two sections will come together when I get a street block done.
This block is called "My Neighbourhood " I really was in two minds about this block....I have lived in the same home for 40+ years. For many, many years we lived in a wonderful, friendly street. Our children all played together and there was always an extra or two in your garden or home. We looked out for each other and each other's children. And my neighbour across the road and myself ended up in the same hospital room having given birth to our first babies the same day......a girl for me a boy for her lol! Today apart from my lovely, kind next door neighbours (not from the original lot) our street has become a street of strangers....a couple of which treated us very unkindly! So! I didn't really feel the emotion behind this block. Probably sounds silly to some but I love meaning in all I do. But then it occurred to me.....this block could just as easily be a tribute to the wonderful Neighbourhood we enjoyed for so many years!
So auditioning fabric for happy homes now.....
The next section of my Tag Roulette has been stitched......40 - Something Yummy....I went with a vintage piece of insert lace. 16 - Seed Stitch......love this stitch so of course got carried away! 44 - Cross Stitch.


Now to the "Birds" bit.....
I have never been a random sketcher! Something really has to grab me before I want to draw it. I have permission to draw some lovely reference photos by a clever lady called Kerrie Marshall....a talented artist herself.....anyway...there will probably be a few more of Kerries references under my pencils.
Another Rosella...this time the Eastern Rosella.....love, love, loved drawing this beauty!

The other one is an Aussie favourite of mine....the Galah.....our Aussie clown! My favourite Australian bird artist William T. COOPER said that you must get the "Jizz" of your subjects. It means the characteristics of a bird....that are easily identifiable! 
Well I think the Galahs Jizz is apparent!  I couldn't wait to draw it!

It was always a joy to see flocks of them together on powerlines in outback towns!
Well folks, I  really do seem to have had a case of the waffles today and if you have waded through it...I thank you!
Take care,
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx 





.


14 comments:

  1. Those twelve months are wonderful Michelle, that really shows us that we do not know what is around the corner at all!! We need to enjoy each and every day. Your rosella and galah are beautiful, we get lots of galahs here and they are real clowns! Your stitching is lovely and the Home blocks just wonderful, I am glad you sorted the neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you both to stay positive. Over my 40 years plus of nursing I have seen the benefits of staying positive in the face of adverse news concerning health. On the other hand you birds.....soooo gorgeous, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post Michelle.... gosh twelve months and hopefully many many more great times together. Just love your art, galahs are real characters....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, twelve months....what a topsy turvy year it has been for you all. Love your birds, especially your jizzy jazzy galah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, a whole year... well done both of you specials..... love the sewing.... I think neighbourhood is even wider than the houses in the street now... it's world wide with the internet isn't it? just not so easy to borrow a cup of sugar that way... love the bird pictures too....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful post Michelle. Every day is a gift. Enjoy. Your work is amazing and shows so much love and perfection. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very thoughtful post, Michelle - a whole year of survival, wonderful to see what love and care can achieve. Enjoy your special gift of time together, and your beautiful artistic output. Something similar happened to our neighbourhood when we used to live near you, and we moved on, fortunately to a place with the same wonderful neighbours, our age, for 18 years. What a great idea to make the block memories of those special years when we had small children. I am loving your tag roulette roll which is so beautiful. Recently I made two of these rolls using meaningful bits and bobs from my sewing room. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending many hugs your way. You have certainly had a tough time and I admire your strength and attitude of gratitude. So many beautiful projects and beautiful drawings. Thank goodness you have your crafts. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your birds are stunning Michelle and I love your stitched piece which is growing beautifully. Your Home quilt seems to be so appropriate for you at the moment and I am glad that you have good memories of neighbours past. What a year you have had - sending love and hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to have had this year with your dear hubby and enjoy each day together.
    Pleased you decided to make the Neighborhood Block so you can remember the days when your children were little.
    Gorgeous feathered friends you've drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its been a very tough year for you, hubby and your family but your strong spirit and your attitude have shone through.
    Yes its true about neighbourhoods, they're not quite the same now for a variety of reasons but love your take on it for your quilt.
    Take care Michelle. Love seeing your blog and instagram posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A year already! How quickly time has flown. You've certainly been a busy lady. Love your blocks - they're all so pretty and gosh those teeny EPP blocks are super cute.

    Your drawings are just amazing. You are so very talented with those pencils of yours. Love your galah. He's quite the character, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so pleased for both of you that it has been twelve months of very special time together.It just goes to show how strong you are together. And how important family and friends are.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful stitching and drawing. I love the idea of the neighbourhood block being a special memory of friends you have made over the years.
    Your birds are a delight. Stunning pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lovely lady and hi gnomey ,good to see that you are both being so positive,the beautiful relationship that you both have is inspiring to many,love you both heaps.
    Michelle I find your work absolutely amazing whether it be sewing,stitching or drawing ,thankyou for sharing it with us ,take care both of you ,sending you both a big hug 💕💕

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.